Q&A ON JAPAN - U.S. RELATIONS
JAPAN-U.S. POLITICAL COOPERATION
- Q : What is Japan doing to support reforms in Russia? Also, how is Japan cooperating with the United States?
- Q : As the Russian presidential election is scheduled in June, what does the Japanese government regard the most important policy toward Russia? What is it doing to implement that policy?
- Q : What are the prospects for resolving the Northern Territories Issue?
- Q : What is Japan's position on the reform of the Security Council and how does Japan intend to cooperate with the US in this regard ?
- Q : What is Japan's position concerning the work on the "Agenda for Development"?
- Q : What is Japan's position on the financial reform of the United Nations?
ASSISTANCE TO THE DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
- Q : It seems that ODA is one of the most important pillars of Japan's contribution to the international community. What is Japan's basic stance regarding ODA?
- Japan-U.S. Security Treaty
- Agreement regarding the Status of United States Armed Forces in Japan
- The Japan-U.S. Joint Committee Agreement on Criminal Procedures
- Agreement on the Host Nation Support
- Joint Announcement of the Japan-U.S. Security Consultative Committee
- (1)National Defense Program Outline in and after FY1996
(2)Statement by the Chief Cabinet Secretary on the New National Defence Program Outline
- (1)On the Mid-Term Defense Build-up Plan (FY1996-2000)
(2)Statement by the Chief Cabinet Secretary on the Mid-Term Defence Build-up Plan(FY1996-2000)
- Japan's participation in United Nations Peace-keeping Operations
- Japan-U.S. Cooperation in Equipment and Tecnology
- Deployment of U.S. Forces in the Western Pacific, Japan(excluding Okinawa), and Okinawa.
- The Cost Born by Japanese Government for Part of Expenses of United States Forces Stationed in Japan (FY1992 to FY 1996)
- How Asian Countries view U.S. Forces' presence in the Asia-Pacific region
RECENT TRENDS IN JAPAN-U.S. ECONOMIC RELATIONS
- Q : What are the current trends of Japan's trade surplus with the world?
- Q : What about the Japan-U.S. trade? Does the imbalance persist?
- Q : Is it true that Japan imports only agricultural products from the United States?
- Q : How do Americans view these trends in trade with Japan?
- Q : Japanese industries have been setting up a lot of companies in the United States. Do they benefit the U.S. economy?
JAPAN-UNITED STATES FRAMEWORK TALKS
- Q : I heard that Japan and the United States negotiate economic issues under the Japan-United States Framework Talks. What sort of mechanism is it?
- Q : One sometimes hears the criticism that the thrust of Japan-United States trade negotiations tends to run contrary to international rules, such as those set out by the WTO. What are the underlying principles guiding the Framework Talks?
THE JAPAN-U.S. SEMICONDUCTOR ARRENGEMENT
- Q : What is Japan's position regarding the extension of the Japan-United States Semiconductor arrangement?
- Q : What was the role of the Arrangement? Has it been achieved?
- Q : What is wrong with extending the Japan-United States Semiconductor Arrangement?
THE JAPAN-U.S. AUTOS AND AUTO PARTS CONSULTATIONS
- Q : What measures has Japan implemented since the conclusion of the Japan-United States Autos and Auto Parts Consultations?
- Q :Have these measures helped to increase the exports of American and other foreign automobiles to Japan?
- Q : What about auto parts? I heard that it is another troublesome issue that American manufacturers are facing.
- Q : How do Americans evaluate the efforts by Japan in this respect?
- Q : Japanese automakers in the United States contribute only to the Japanese economy after all, don't they?
- Q : Did the highly tensed negotiation give negative impact on the cooperative relations among Japanese and U.S. automakers?
- Q : Japan's excessive regulations sometimes have been criticized as a kind of trade barrier. Does Japan go on to have these excessive regulations?
- Q : Then, in what specific ways will Japan deregulate?
- Q : How Americans view Japan's regulations?
- Q : How does Japan reflect American suggestions upon promoting the deregulation?
EDUCATIONAL AND CULTURAL EXCHANGE
- Q : It seems to me that too much is made about the economic aspects of Japan-US relations and that we ought to make the most of cultural exchange to improve mutual understanding among the people of both countries. Are there any organizaion in Japan that promote this sort of exchange?
- Q : I am studying international relations at a US research institute and we would like to do a joint project with some institution in Japan on bilateral Japan-US relations in the Pacific rim. Is there any financial support available for this type of project?
- Q : I'm an American woman involved in volunteer work and would like to discuss community issues with my counterparts in Japan. Is there any financial assistance available for doing this?
- Q : I'm studying Japanese in high school. It would surely help my pronunciation if I had a native Japanese teacher. Is it possible to have a Japanese teacher in my school?
- Q : I would like to teach English at schools in Japan. Is there any program for a native English speaker to teach English at a japanese school?
- Q : I would like to study in Japan.How can I get information about studying in Japan?
Japan-US Science and Technology Cooperation
- Q : What sort of science and technology cooperation is now underway between Japan and the United States?
Back to Index