Information on certification services at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Certification at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Japan) (Authentication (of official seals) / Apostille)
Please be advised that the application desk of Certification section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Tokyo headquarters) continues to be closed until further notice. Please apply and receive certificates both by post.
- What is an Authentication (of official seals) / Apostille?
- Information on Authentication / Apostille
- Application Procedure Guide
- Please refer to the following for information regarding the procedure flow, certifiable documents, the application procedure and required documents.
- Download Application Form / Sample of Power of Attorney
- Click above to download application forms for an authentication or an apostille and a sample of power of attorney.
- Business Hours / Contact Information / Addresses
- Click above for contact and access information on the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Tokyo) and Osaka Liaison Office.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Please check these FAQ before you make an enquiry.
- Links to Relevant Websites
- Click above for locations of notary public's offices and (district) legal affairs bureaus.
- From October 1, 2022, the One-Stop Services are available at notary offices in Hokkaido (within the jurisdiction of the Sapporo Legal Affairs Bureau), Miyagi and Fukuoka, in addition to notary offices in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Shizuoka, Aichi and Osaka.
- Indonesia has been added to the signatory countries of the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents (Hague Convention) (June 4,2022)
- We updated a contact information.
- Application form for Authentication / Apostille is revised. (Existing old forms can be continuously used, but only up to three applications for the same kind of document are accepted at a time.)