With regards to visa inquiries, you can contact “Foreign Residents Support Center (FRESC) MOFA Visa Information” or “the Japan Visa Information Hotline” listed on the website of the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan. Due to the complex nature of visa requirements, we are UNABLE to respond to visa-related inquiries made through this website at the moment. We advise you to contact the Consular Section of the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan nearest you for more information and advice.
If you are a foreign national, please click the links below for specific information related to respective subjects.
- 1. Visa Application Procedures
- 2. About Visa
- 3. Visa Application Documents
- 4. Frequently Asked Questions
- 5. Announcements
- 6. Inquiries Concerning Visas
1. Visa Application Procedures
(A stay of up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, etc. that does not include remunerative activities)
Click on the nationality of the visa applicant traveling to Japan.
- Countries or Regions that require a visa to enter Japan
- Procedures chart for short-term stay (tourism, business, visiting relatives, etc)
- 【Purpose of tourism (single-entry)】
- All foreign nationals/people who reside in the following countries/region and are required to obtain a short-term visa on visiting Japan are eligible to apply for a visa online from March 27, 2023. Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Mongolia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, U.S.A.
- Countries or Regions that do not require a visa to enter Japan
It is highly recommended to purchase international travel medical insurance for your trip to Japan. Overseas travel medical insurance helps you in case of emergency.
Work or Long-Term Stay
(A stay during which the applicant performs remunerative work in Japan or a stay of over 90 days in Japan, etc.)
- Procedures chart for long-term stays
- The Working Holiday Programmes in Japan
- Japan’s Pre-Entry Tuberculosis Screening
Visa for Medical Stay
Visa Exemptions for Diplomatic and Official Passport Holders
2. About Visa
3. Visa Application Documents (download)
- (Note1) Refer to [1. Visa Application Procedures] for details of documents required.
- (Note2) Use Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill in and print out the Visa application form
- (Note3) Visa application forms that are not in the QR code (PDF) format cannot be saved. Please print a paper copy of the Visa application.
- Visa application form
- English (PDF), Chinese (simplified) (PDF), Chinese (traditional) (PDF), Korean (PDF), Portuguese (PDF), Spanish (PDF)
- Letter of guarantee (PDF)
- Letter of Invitation (Single)(PDF)
- Letter of Invitation(Multiple)(PDF)
- List of visa applicants (PDF)
- Details of Company / Organization (PDF)
- Travel Itinerary (PDF)
4. Frequently Asked Questions
- Tell me why you rejected my visa application.
- I want to go to Japan. Do I need a visa?
- I want to invite a foreign national to Japan. What procedures are necessary?
- What should I do to get a Certificate of Eligibility?
- The Certificate of Eligibility will not arrive by the time I apply for a visa. Can I still apply for a visa with its copy?
- As a “guarantor”, to what extent do I need to be responsible?
- more FAQ
Newly introduced visas
- Special highly skilled professional (J-Skip)
- Designated activities (Future creation individual, Spouse or Child of future creation individual) (J-Find)
Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals into Japan
- Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel
- Border measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
Statistics for the Number of Visas
Relaxation of Visa Requirements
- Signing of the Japan-Israel Working Holiday Agreement (April 28, 2023)
- Visa Waiver Measure for Nationals of the State of Qatar based on Ordinary Passport Registration System (April 2, 2023)
- Visa Waiver Measure for Nationals of the United Arab Emirates in Possession of Ordinary Passports (November 1, 2022)
6. Inquiries about Visas Application
Foreign Residents Support Center (FRESC) MOFA Visa Information
Yotsuya Tower 13F, 1-6-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0004
(For some IP phones and calls from overseas, please call +81-3-5369-6577)
Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:00