GoJ (MOFA)/JICA: Enhancement of teaching ability of 100,000 teachers of Math & Science
- Yokohama Action Plan
- Promote knowledge/experience sharing within Africa and between Asia and Africa on such themes as culture and gender sensitive curricula, learning materials and training manuals.
- Proposed Measures by Japan/Implementing Partners
- ● Expand teacher training in math and science through SMASE (Strengthening of Mathematics and Science in Education) by extending program to additional countries and encouraging sharing of experiences
- Potential Resources, Possible Contributions
- GoJ (MOFA)/JICA: (i) Expand SMASE projects for 100,000 teachers; (ii) Promote experience-sharing among SMASE-WECSA (Western, Eastern, Central and Southern Africa) member countries; (iii) Provide teacher training in Math and Science Education for all SMASE-WECSA member countries
- Related Links
- GoJ/JICA: Technical support on teacher training
WBG: Coordinate conference on Africa-Asia Exchange on Mathematics and Science Education (AAE/MSE)
Current Status of Implementation 2009
- Angola/Benin/Botswana/Burkina Faso/Burundi/Cameroon/Ethiopia/Gambia/Ghana/Kenya/Malawi/Mozambique/Niger/Nigeria/Rwanda/Senegal/Sierra Leone/Swaziland/Sudan/Tanzania/Uganda/Zambia
- (i)Technical cooperation has been implemented in the above 17 countries (technical cooperation projects: 13 countries and follow-up cooperation: 4 countries). In total, 71,696 teachers received training.
(ii)SMASE-WECSA membership has been expanded to 25 countries and 1 region. To promote experience-sharing among members, the following were organized;
- WECSA technical meeting (in Swaziland): 93 participants from 15 countries
- WECSA regional meeting (in Kenya): 68 participants from 23 countries
- Workshop on the improvement of teaching skills (in Zambia): 63 participants from 5 countries
- Seminar on the improvement of class management (in Uganda): 28 countries from 7 countries
(iii) Trainings for WECSA member countries were held in Kenya. 164 from 21 countries participated in 3 group training couses.
- More information
Current Status of Implementation 2008
- (i) 41,762 teachers received training in the above 10 countries where the projects have ben implemented.
(ii) Member countries of SMASE-WECSA numbers 24. To promote experience-sharing among members, WECSA regional meeting (in Kenya) and a seminar (in Uganda) were held with 138 participants from 27 countries including observers and 27 from 6 countries, respectively.
(iii) Trainings for WECSA member countries were held in Kenya. 164 from 19 countries participated in 3 group training couses and 106 in 3 country focused courses (2 for southern Sudan and 1 for Senegal).
- More information
Back to Index