Earthquake Damage in Nepal
June 26, 2015
On April 25, a massive earthquake struck the mid-west part of Nepal and caused an immense damage to Nepal and the neighbor countries. In view of the friendly relationship between Japan and Nepal and the request from the Government of Nepal, the Government of Japan has provided the following emergency humanitarian assistance to those affected by the disaster.
The Government of Japan intends to continue to provide effective assistance to the extent possible in a seamless manner including in the stages of recovery and reconstruction of Nepal.
Japan's Emergency Assistance
- (1) Emergency Grant Aid (amounting to 14 million US dollars)
- (2) Emergency Relief Goods (tents and blankets)(worth 25 million yen)
- (3) Dispatch of the Japan Disaster Relief (JDR) Teams
- (a) Urban Search and Rescue Team (70 members)
- A team was dispatched on April 26, and returned to Japan on May 9.
- (b) Medical Team
- First batch (46 members) was dispatched on April 28 and returned to Japan on May 11.
- Second batch (34 members) was dispatched on May 7 and returned to Japan on May 20.
- (c) Japan Self-Defense Force Units
- Medical unit (114 members) was dispatched on April 29 and returned to Japan by May 22.
- (4) Emergency Humanitarian Assistance through Japanese NGOs