Foreign Minister Taro Kono Meets with the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency
1. Minister Kono stated that the IAEA’s safeguards system is a core of the international nuclear nonproliferation regime and he hopes that Director General Amano will continue to exercise his leadership. With regard to North Korea, Minister Kono stated that he hopes to continue to coordinate closely with the IAEA.
2. Director General Amano stated that the IAEA has enhanced its capability of monitoring North Korea’s nuclear related activities and publicized the results in August and November this year, and explained its ongoing efforts. Director General Amano also explained the current situation surrounding the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
3. Minister Kono and Director General Amano reaffirmed that they will continue to coordinate closely on various issues.
[Reference] International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
(1) The IAEA is the international organization established in 1957 for the purposes of promoting the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and preventing the diversion of nuclear energy for military purposes based on the Statute of the IAEA. (There are currently 170 Member States.)
(2) Director General Amano has held the post of Director General since December 2009 and is currently serving his third term which is from December 1, 2017 to November 30, 2021. The General Conference of the IAEA approved his third term in September 2017.