The re-appointment of Mr. Yukiya Amano, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) (Statement by Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida)
1. On March 8(March 8, local time), the IAEA Board of Governors in Vienna re-appointed by acclamation the incumbent Director General, Mr. Yukiya Amano.
2. Director General Amano has been actively working on matters such as the verification and monitoring of Iran’s implementation of the JCPOA and North Korea’s nuclear issue. He has also strengthened non-proliferation and nuclear security and led international efforts in enhancing nuclear safety building on lessons learned from the Fukushima Daiichi accident. Director General Amano has also worked actively on global development issues such as human health, water resources management and food and agriculture under his initiative “Atoms for Peace and Development.”
3. Japan welcomes the re-appointment of Director General Amano by the Board of Governors. Japan looks forward to the approval of Director General Amano’s appointment at the General Conference of the IAEA in September this year, and hopes for his continued and splendid leadership.
(1) Director General Amano has held this post since December 2009 and is currently serving his second term.
(2) Upon the approval of the General Conference of the IAEA, which is to be held from September 18, 2017, Director General Amano will commence his third term (four years) in office on December 1.