Third Japan-EU Development Policy Dialogue Takes Place in Brussels
July 3, 2014
1. On Wednesday, July 2, the third Japan-EU Development Policy Dialogue was held in Brussels, Belgium. This Dialogue was conducted as a follow-up to the “Joint Press Statement”, which was issued on the occasion of 22nd Japan-EU Summit in May 2014, which specified further invigoration of the annual Development Policy Dialogue and the third meeting to be held in July.
2. Director General, International Cooperation Bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), Mr. Kimihiro Ishikane and other relevant officials from MOFA and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) attended the meeting from the Japanese side, while Director General for Development and Cooperation for the European Commission, Mr. Fernando Frutuoso de Melo, and other relevant officials attended from the EU side.
3. During the third Development Policy Dialogue, the two sides discussed Japan-EU development cooperation, in relation to development challenges; including the post 2015 development agenda, gender and women’s empowerment, as well as policy coordination in development cooperation in Africa.
4. Meanwhile, the Japanese side explained the role of Official Development Assistance (ODA), in terms of “Proactive contribution to Peace” and received the understanding of the EU side. Also, an update on the revision of Japan’s ODA charter was explained during the meeting.
5. Japan and the EU confirmed that both sides will work together for the preparation of post 2015 development agenda. Moreover, the EU side expressed its support for Japan’s commitment for the success of the Third World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction that will be held in Sendai, Japan in March 2015. Japan and the EU shared the view that the two sides will continue to cooperate closely on policy coordination in women’s empowerment and in development cooperation in Africa.
6. Both sides agreed that the next Development Policy Dialogue will be held at a mutually convenient time within the next year.