Japan-Denmark Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
October 20, 2018
On October 20, commencing at 12:35 p.m. local time (7:35 p.m. Japan time) for approximately 25 minutes, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a meeting with H.E. Mr. Anders Samuelsen, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Denmark, during his visit to Denmark. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- Minister Samuelsen sincerely welcomed Minister Kono’s visit, and congratulated him on his reappointment as Minister for Foreign Affairs. Minister Samuelsen also explained that he has fond memories of his visit to Japan last year, and expressed gratitude for Japan’s attendance at the P4G (Partnering for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030) Summit hosted by Denmark.
- Minister Kono extended his congratulations on Denmark’s leadership to host the P4G Summit. He stated that last year Japan and Denmark celebrated the 150th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations, and that our bilateral cooperation has been progressing steadily in a broad range of fields since the previous foreign ministers’ meeting in addition to frequent mutual high-level visits.
- The two ministers once again shared the view that promoting free trade is important and confirmed that they will work together on the early entry into force of the Japan-European Union (EU) Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) contributing to bilateral trade and investment.
- With regard to the North Korea situation, the two ministers shared the position that it is indispensable to fully implement the relevant United Nations Security Council Resolutions(UNSCRs) toward the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- The two ministers shared the view that they would further advance the two countries’ Strategic Partnership in the future in a broad range of areas including the Arctic.