Endorsement Guidelines for Commemorative Events: Japan-Southwest Asia Exchange Year 2022
In 2022, Japan will celebrate 50 years of diplomatic relations with Bangladesh, as well as 70 years with India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, and 50 years with the Maldives. Japan has designated 2022 as “Japan-Southwest Asia Exchange Year” with the aim of taking Japan’s relations with the seven countries of Southwest Asia (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka) to new heights.
The Government of Japan will be endorsing a wide range of events taking place in Japan or Southwest Asia as commemorative events celebrating the Japan-Southwest Asia Exchange Year. These authorized events will be permitted to use the official logo of the Japan-Southwest Asia Exchange Year. The endorsement guidelines are as follows.
- (1)Events should aim to deepen mutual understanding and promote friendship between Japan and one or multiple Southwest Asian countries in a wide range of areas such as culture, arts, sports, education, tourism, economy and sciences.
- (2)Events should take place in Japan or Southwest Asian countries during 2022 as a general rule. However, exceptions will be made for events taking place in late 2021 or early 2023.
- (3)Events should not fall under any of the cases below:
- (a) An event offensive to public order or public morality.
- (b) An event that violates or may violate laws or regulations of Japan or Southwest Asian countries.
- (c) An event that does not serve the purpose of promoting friendship between Japan and Southwest Asian countries.
- (d) An event that advocates any particular principle, political ideology or religion.
- (e) An event not pursued in the public interest.
- (f) An event for mainly profit-purposes. However, profit-making events may be deemed eligible for application if they fully meet requirement (1) above.
2. Application Process
- (1)The following documents should be submitted by mail or e-mail to the Embassy of Japan located in the country where the event is to be held, or the Southwest Asia Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for events to be held in Japan. The documents should be submitted no later than three weeks prior to the date of the event, in principle.
- (a) Application Form (Attachment 1)(Word)
- (b) Budget Form (Attachment 2)(Excel)
[NOTE] Only if there is income/expenditurefor the event.
- (c) Pledge Form (Attachment 3)(Word)
- (d) Documents outlining the event (ex. written proposal, list of exhibits (for exhibitions, etc.), plot summary (for movies, plays, etc.), program, application guidelines (for open exhibitions, competitions, etc.))
- (e) Documents outlining its organizations
- i. List of board members
- ii. Articles of incorporation or the equivalent (terms, regulations, donations, etc.)
- iii. History, business performance, and activities of the organization
- iv. If the organizer and applicant differ, documents that indicate the relation between the two (contracts, etc.)
- [NOTE] Government offices, diplomatic delegations, consular organizations, international organizations, local public entities, and independent administrative agencies within the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan are exempt from submitting (e) i.-iii.
- (2)Applications accepted at the Embassies of Japan in Southwest Asian countries will be reviewed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan in Tokyo as needed. Results will then be relayed to applicants through the Embassy.
Applicants of the endorsed events will be entitled to use the official logo design for the Japan-Southwest Asia Exchange Year in publicity materials.
(However, all publicity material carrying the logo design must be submitted to and authorized by the Embassy before printing.) The official logos (8 in all) may be used separately, or combined as needed.
3. Report on the completion of the event
After completion of the event, a Summary Report (Attachment 4)(Word) on the results of the event should be submitted to the Embassy (or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan). The content of the summary report may be used in the Embassy’s PR media.
4. Points to Note
- (1)Notes for sending applications
- (a) Submitted documents will not be returned
- (b) We may contact you and ask for submission of additional documents if the application is incomplete.
- (c) Applications submitted after the deadline or lacking sufficient documentation may not be accepted.
- (d) We will not be able to respond to any inquiries regarding the screening process.
- (2) Notes for the preparation and implementation of events
- (a) Organizers of the event shall bear full responsibility for the implementation of the event even when it is endorsed as a commemorative event, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan will not bear any responsibility by the endorsement of the event.
- (b) In a case that the event is cancelled or major change of the event is made, the information should be reported promptly to the relevant Embassy or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
- (c) The endorsement can be withdrawn if any of the following cases below apply.
- In any case of cancellation or a substantive change of the event, without any report to the relevant Embassy of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
- When details of the event not specified in the application emerge, or when the content of the event have been changed after the application, and are deemed to be fall into any of the cases in 1-(3).
- When the organizer changed the aspect ratio, color or design of the anniversary logo, or used the anniversary logo for non-authorized events.
(1) For events to be held in Southwest Asian countries
- Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh
- Address:Embassy of Japan, Plot No. 5 & 7, Dutabash Road, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Tel:(880-2) 222260010
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Embassy of Japan in Bhutan ((Note)The Embassy of Japan in India)
- Address:Embassy of Japan, 50-G, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India
- Embassy of Japan in India
- Address: Embassy of Japan, 50-G, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India
- Embassy of Japan in Maldives
- Address: Embassy of Japan, 8th Floor, Aage Building, 12 Boduthakurufaanu Magu, Henveiru, Male, 20094, Republic of Maldives
- Tel: +960-3300087
- Embassy of Japan in Nepal
- Address: Embassy of Japan, 1253, Narayan Gopal Sadak Panipokhari, ward No.3 Kathmandu (North), Nepal (P.O.Box 264)
- Tel: (977-1)4426680
- Embassy of Japan in Pakistan
- Address: Embassy of Japan, Plot No. 53-70, Ramna 5/4, Diplomatic Enclave 1, Islamabad, Pakistan (P.O. Box 1119)
- Tel:(92-51) 9072500
- Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka
- Address: Embassy of Japan, No.34, W. A. D. Ramanayake Mawatha, Colombo 2, Sri Lanka (P.O. Box 822 Colombo)
(2) For events to be held in Japan
- Southwest Asia Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Address:2-2-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8919, Japan
- Email: email@example.com
(Note) For online events, please contact the Embassy located in the country the organizer is based in, or the Southwest Asia Division of MOFA Japan for organizers based in Japan.