The Twelfth Japan International MANGA Award Winner Announcement
1. The Japan International MANGA Award is given by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to MANGA artists who have contributed to the promotion of MANGA culture overseas and international cultural exchanges through MANGA. This year marks its 12th anniversary and we have received 331 entries from 68 countries and regions.
2. Following the selection process carried out in cooperation with the Association of MANGA Publishers, and the Jury of the Award led by Ms. Machiko Satonaka (Manga artist), a total of 15 winners, including one Gold Award and three Silver Award winners were chosen.
3. The ceremony for the Twelfth Japan International MANGA Award will be held in Tokyo on February 26th next year with the participation of the Gold and Silver winners.
(1) Gold Award
- Title of Work: Yang Hao and his four compositions
- Artist : Mr. Tang Xiao (Dani) (China)
(2) Silver Award
- Title of Work: MISEYIEKI
- Artist : Mr. Shangomola Edunjobi (England)
- Title of Work: The Pork Chops Inferno
- Artist : Mr. Lai Tat Tat Wing (China (Hong Kong))
- Title of Work: Planned Obsolescence of our feelings
- Artist : Ms. Aimée de Jongh (Netherlands)&Mr. Zidrou (Belgium)
[Reference 1：Japan International MANGA Award]
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs founded the Japan International MANGA Award in 2007 for the purpose of expanding international exchange and mutual understanding through world-famous MANGA culture.
This award aims to honor MANGA artists who contribute to the development of MANGA culture in the world.
[Reference 2：Application]There were 331 entries from 68 countries and regions this year. Countries and regions with most entries are Taiwan (1st: 38 entries), China (2nd: 32 entries), Thailand (3rd: 16 entries).
[Reference 3：Members of the Jury of the Award]
- Ms. Machiko SATONAKA, Manga artist (chairperson)
- Ms. Ban IPPONGI, Manga artist
- Mr. Masafumi KUMATA, Publisher
- Mr. Tsutomu FUJITA former Publisher
- Mr. Mitsuru MIURA, Manga artist
[Reference 4：Members of the Executive Committee of the Award]
- Mr. Taro KONO, Minister for Foreign Affairs (chairman)
- Ms. Saya SHIRAISHI, Professor emeritus, Tokyo University
- Mr. Kotaro SUGIYAMA, President, LIGHTPUBLICITY Co. Ltd.,
- Mr. Frederik L. Schodt, American translator, interpreter and writer
- Mr. Kiyoshi YOKOTA, Executive Director, SHOGAKUKAN Co. Ltd.,
- Mr. Hiroyasu ANDO, President, Japan Foundation