Foreign Minister Kono Attends the Fourth Conference of States Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty
August 17, 2018
1. On August 20, 2018, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, will attend the opening session of the Fourth Conference of States Parties (CSP4) to the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) to beheld in Tokyo, and will give a statement on behalf of the Government of Japan.
2. Japan has actively taken part since the establishmentof the ATT, now serves the first presidency of the Conference of States Parties in Asia-Pacific region, and is activley leading the international community in a proactive manner. Japan intends to contribute to the effective implementation and universalization of the Treaty through supporting capacity building for countries in need, encouraging the conclusion of the ATT, and cooperating with various stakeholders.
[Reference] Outline of the Fourth Conference of States Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty
(1) The Fourth Conference of States Parties (CSP4) to the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) is planned to be held from August 20-24, 2018 in Tokyo. This is the first time for the Conference of States Parties to be held in the Asia-Pacific region.
(2) A wide range of related persons from around the world, including from state parties to the ATT, signatory nations, observer countries, international and regional agencies, civil society, non-governmental organizations, and business community, are expected to attend the CSP4.
(3) Mr. Nobushige Takamizawa, Ambassador of Japan to the Conference on Disarmament, will serve as President of the CSP4.