Foreign Minister Kono Attends ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers’ Meetings
and Visits Russia, Myanmar and Bangladesh
1. Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, will visit Moscow in the Russian Federation, the Republic of Singapore, Naypyidaw in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, and Dhaka in the People’s Republic of Bangladesh from July 30 to August 8.
2. In Moscow, Minister Kono will hold a Japan-Russia Foreign and Defense Ministerial Consultation (“2+2” Ministerial Meeting), a Japan-Russia Foreign Ministerial Meeting, and a Co-Chairs’ Meeting of the Japan-Russia Intergovernmental Committee on Trade and Economic Issues.
At the meetings, discussions are expected to take place regarding Japan-Russia bilateral relations including the issues of concluding a peace treaty, security and pressing international affairs, and Japan-Russia economic relations including progress of the Eight-Point Cooperation plan.
3. In Singapore, Minister Kono will attend ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers’ Meetings (Japan-ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, Japan-Mekong Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, ASEAN Plus Three (Japan, China, Republic of Korea) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, East Asia Summit (EAS) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, and the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Ministerial Meeting).
At these meetings, Minister Kono will discuss such issues as the promotion of Japan-ASEAN cooperation, strengthening of EAS, initiatives of confidence building at the ARF, and regional and international issues including North Korea and the South China Sea. Minister Kono will explain Japan’s views on these issues and confirm coordination with participating countries.
Minister Kono will also have a bilateral meeting with H.E. Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Foreign Affairs, the Republic of Singapore, the Chair of ASEAN, among others. Bilateral foreign ministers’ meetings with other countries are also being coodinated.
4. In Naypyidaw, Minister Kono will hold meetings with government dignitaries, including H.E. Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, State Counsellor and Union Minister for Foreign Affairs, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, and exchange views concerning the bilateral relationship, the situation in Rakhine State, among other issues.
5. In Dhaka, Minister Kono is expected to hold meetings with government dignitaries, including H.E. Mr. Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
|July||30||PM||Departure from Japan|
|Arrival in Moscow|
|31||AM||Co-Chairs’ Meeting of the Japan-Russia Intergovernmental|
|Committee on Trade and Economic Issues|
|PM||Japan-Russia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting|
|Japan-Russia Foreign and Defense Ministerial Consultation (“2+2” Ministerial Meeting)|
|Departure from Moscow|
|August||1||PM||Arrival in Singapore|
|2||PM||Japan-ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting|
|3||PM||Japan-Mekong Foreign Ministers’ Meeting|
|4||AM||ASEAN+3 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting|
|EAS Foreign Ministers’ Meeting|
|PM||ARF Ministerial Meeting|
|5||PM||Departure from Singapore|
|Arrival in Naypyidaw|
|6||Meetings with dignitaries of the Government of Myanmar|
|PM||Departure from Naypyidaw|
|7||PM||Arrival in Dhaka|
|Meetings with dignitaries of the Government of Bangladesh|
|Departure from Dhaka|
|8||PM||Arrival in Japan|