Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) Public Health Network 10th Anniversary Event
(Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Manabu Horii attended the Meeting)
May 31, 2018
1. From May 30 to 31, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) co-hosted High-level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage (UHC): “UHC as a Tool to Combat Infectious Diseases” as the Public Health Network 10th Anniversary Event at the United Nations University in Tokyo. Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Manabu Horii attended the opening and delivered the opening remarks.
2. This meeting celebrated the 10th Anniversary for the announcement of “ASEM Initiative for the Rapid Containment of Pandemic influenza” which Japan supports through ASEF.
3. Approximately 70 public health experts from ASEM partners and relevant international organizations including Dr. Naoko Yamamoto, Assistant Director-General, WHO, took part in the meeting and discussed the promotion of UHC from a viewpoint of protection against infectious diseases including Antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
4. Parliamentary Vice-Minister Manabu Horii pointed out that enhancing people-to-people connectivity between Asia and Europe may lead to negative aspects such as increasing risk of Pandemic and stressed Japan’s contribution to connectivity between both regions through “ASEM Initiative for the Rapid Containment of Pandemic influenza” offering preparedness for such negative aspects. He also stated that Japan will further take significant role in strengthening cooperation between Asia and Europe through ASEM and ASEF.
【Reference】“ASEM Initiative for the Rapid Containment of Pandemic influenza”
At the 7th ASEM Summit in October 2008, then Prime Minister Taro Aso announced this initiative in order to prepare for Pandemic Influenza. Japan contributed approximately 32 million US dollars to ASEF. The initiative consists of two components.
(1) Stockpiling of Antiviral Drugs and Personal Protective Equipment for Rapid Containment of Pandemic Influenza
In this project, antiviral drugs and personal protective equipment are stockpiled and will be delivered to wherever necessary within and around the ASEM area in case of pandemic influenza to contain it.
(2)ASEF Public Health Network
This project strengthens preparedness of receiving countries, risk communications and network between Asia and Europe through workshops and training and support to build a system in order to make emergency operation easier and more successful in case of public health emergency.