Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of the French Republic, H.E. Mr. Jean-Yves Le Drian to Visit Japan
1. H.E. Mr. Jean-Yves Le Drian, Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of the French Republic, will pay a Working Visit to Japan from 26 to 29 January upon invitation by the Minister for Foreign Affairs.
2. During his stay in Japan, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Mr. Itsunori Onodera, Minister of Defense, will hold the Fourth Japan-France Foreign and Defense Ministers’ Meeting together with Minister for the Armed Forces of the French Republic, H.E. Ms. Florence Parly. In the meeting, they are to discuss such issues as Japan-France security and defense cooperation and regional affairs.
3. Furthermore, during his stay, Minister Le Drian and Minister Kono will hold the Seventh Japan-France Foreign Ministers’Strategic Dialogue. Minister Kono and Mrs. Kono will also host a lunch for Minister Le Drian.
4. In this year, which marks the 160th anniversary of Japan-France diplomatic relations, Foreign Minister Le Drian’s visit is expected to be the first step to further develop Japan-France relations beyond the “exceptional partnership” between the both countries.
(2) Visits to Japan : Minister Le Drian has visited Japan many times.(incdluing the 2nd Japan France Foregin and Defense Ministers’ Meeting)
(3) Japan-France Foreign and Defense Ministers’ Meeting : The first meeting was held in January 2014 in Paris, the second in March 2015 in Tokyo, and the third in January 2017 in Paris. Minister Le Drian attended all the three meetings as French Minister for Defense. He will attend the meeting for the first time as The Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs.
(4) “Exceptional partnership”: On June 2013, it was confirmed that Japan and France are in the "exceptional partnership" based on common values and benefits through summit meeting and joint statements during the State Visit of the former President Hollande.