Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida Receives a Courtesy Call from Mr. Nyan Win, NLD Central Executive Committee Member and Spokesman
November 27, 2015
On November 27, commencing at 11:25 a.m. for approximately 25 minutes, Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, received a courtesy call from Mr. Nyan Win, Member of Central Executive Committee and Spokesman, National League for Democracy (NLD), Republic of the Union of Myanmar, who is currently visiting Japan in response to an invitation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
1. The overview of the points made by Minister Kishida is as follows.
(1) Japan sincerely pays respect for and celeblates the fact that the NLD has overcome numerous difficulties and has succeeded in receiving the support of the majority of the public in the general election. Japan welcomes this progress of democratization.
(2) The stability of the NLD administration, which has received the support of many people, is extremely important for the peace and prosperity of Myanmar. Both public and private sectors of Japan intend to provide their utmost support, and believe that collaboration with the NLD is important.
(3) Japan intends to exchange opinions with the NLD in order to support democratization and development in Myanmar and strengthen Japan-Myanmar relations. Japan hopes to receive a visit by Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, Chairperson, NLD, in the near future.
(4) Japan intends to play a proactive role going forward so that progress is made with regard to dialogues for the launch of new administration and the transfer of power proceeds smoothly.
2. Mr. Nyan Win commented, “We are grateful for the invitation to Japan from the Minister to Chairperson Aung San Suu Kyi. Myanmar is facing many challenges, and Japan’s investments and technologies will be important for the nation’s development in the future. Myanmar welcomes investments and technologies from Japan. Chairperson Aung San Suu Kyi appreciates the support from the Government of Japan and the Japanese people thus far. The NLD will place importance on economics in running their future administration, and is researching an ideal vision of the economy. In order to attract investment, the NLD is currently learning about the nature of security for investments.”
3. The two sides also exchanged opinions concerning domestic peace in Myanmar.