Meeting between Foreign Minister HAYASHI and the Secretary-General of ASEAN
June 5, 2023
On June 5, commencing at 11:40 a.m. for approximately 30 minutes, Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, held a meeting with H.E. Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, the Secretary-General of ASEAN. The overview of the meeting is as follows.
- At the beginning of the meeting, Minister Hayashi expressed his appreciation for H.E.Dr. Kao Kim Hourn’s frequent visits to Japan and his efforts to strengthen ASEAN-Japan relations. Minister Hayashi also noted that this year marks the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation, and expressed his will to cooperate closely with each other for the success of the Commemorative Summit in Tokyo in December this year.
- In response, Secretary-General Kao Kim Hourn expressed his gratitude for Japan's cooperation with ASEAN over the years and said that he would cooperate for the success of the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan relations.
- Minister Hayashi stated that Japan would continue to support attractive cultural and people-to-people exchanges, such as “WA Project” and “JENESYS”, in order to pass on to the next generation the "heart to heart" mutual trust and understanding that have been the foundation of ASEAN-Japan relations for many years. In response, Secretary-General Kao Kim Hourn expressed his appreciation for Japan's efforts to date and emphasized the significance of these efforts.
- Minister Hayashi stated that Japan would continue to support for ASEAN centrality and unity, and Japan would assist the mainstreaming of the ASEAN Outlook on the Indo-Pacific (AOIP). In response, Secretary-General Kao Kim Hourn expressed his gratitude for Japan's cooperation with AOIP as well as his expectations for future cooperation.
- Minister Hayashi stated that he would like to issue a strong message on pressing regional and international issues at the ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers' Meetings in July. In response, Secretary-General Kao Kim Hourn expressed his desire for close cooperation and looked forward to meeting again in Jakarta.