1. Aim to double the inward foreign direct investment stocks to 80 trillion yen by 2030 and reach 12% of GDP
The government will develop an environment where all companies and human resources enjoy the benefits of global economy and facilitate full-fledged globalization in Japan in order to attract outstanding overseas manpower and technologies to Japan and to create employment and innovation. In 2013, the government set the target to double inward FDI stocks to 35 trillion yen in 2020 in the "Japan Revitalizing Policy 2013."
As a result, the inward FDI stocks reached 39.7 trillion yen as of the end of December 2020, thereby achieving the target.
To further promote inward foreign direct investment in Japan to enhance growth potential of the Japanese economy and to revitalize regional economies, the government created the “Strategy for Promoting Foreign Direct Investment in Japan,” which was adopted by the Council for Promotion of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan in June 2021. It sets a new target to double the inward foreign direct investment stocks to 80 trillion yen by 2030 and reach 12% of GDP.
2. Four key roles of Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Diplomatic missions of Japan, in cooperation with overseas office of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), are taking following measures to double inward FDI stocks in Japan. MOFA has established in 126 diplomatic missions overseas the "contact points for Direct Investment towards Japan".
- (1) Collect information which relates to potential foreign direct investment
- (2) Collect information which contributes to improving investment environment in Japan
- (3) Promote Japan’s attractiveness as an investment destination among foreign business communities
- (4) Organize and cooperate on events promoting FDI towards Japan
3. The Council for Promotion of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan
4. Contact points
(1) MOFA contact
OECD Division, Economic Affairs Bureau
(2) Diplomatic missions overseas
JETRO is a government-related organization promoting mutual trade and investment between Japan and the rest of the world. As one of its activities, it offers foreign investors with abundant information on all aspects of doing business in Japan, by providing expert consultation and offering free temporary office space in major business areas across the country.
JETRO supports foreign companies by
- Giving consultation regarding administrative procedures required for FDI into Japan.
- Arranging meetings with officials of regulatory agencies if needed.
- Relaying requests for regulatory reforms to the Japanese government.
If you wish to have their assistance, please contact INVEST JAPAN hotline.
(4) Link of Invest Japan (Cabinet Office)
5. Other Information
- “Global Business Seminar” Business Environment and Expansion of Foreign Direct Investment in Japan
- “Global Business Seminar” Forefront of Green Energy
- “Global Business Seminar” Achieving Greater Investments in the Digital Era
- Statistics (FDI stock in Japan) (PDF) (129KB)
- Towards Creating The World’s Most Business-Friendly Environment (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry)
- INVEST JAPAN Foreign Direct Investment Promotion (Cabinet office)