Japan-United States of America Relations
Japan-U.S. Summit Telephone Talk
June 12, 2018
On June 12, commencing at 9:34 p.m. for approximately 20 minutes, Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, held a telephone talk with the Honorable Donald Trump, President of the United States of America. The overview of the telephone talk is as follows.
1. President Trump provided a detailed explanation on the U.S.-North Korea Summit Meeting, and in response, Prime Minister Abe expressed sincere respect for President Trump’s leadership and efforts.
2. The two leaders shared the view that it is highly significant that Chairman Kim Jong Un, reiterated his intention for the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and made a clear promise to do so in a written document. In addition, building up on the results of this historic meeting, Prime Minister Abe and President Trump reaffirmed the resolute policy of Japan and the United States, as well as Japan, the United States, and the Republic of Korea (ROK), to make a concerted effort with the international community to urge North Korea to fully implement the relevant United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions.
3. Prime Minister Abe expressed gratitude to President Trump for conveying a solid message to Chairman Kim on the abductions issue, which is a critical issue for Japan, at the U.S.-North Korea Summit Meeting. Prime Minister Abe stated that, towards the prompt resolution of the abductions issue, Japan itself would have to directly engage with North Korea with resolute determination while coordinating with the international community including the United States, and resolve the issue between Japan and North Korea.
4. Prime Minister Abe and President Trump reconfirmed that Japan and the United States, as well as Japan, the United States, and the ROK, will continue to coordinate closely including through the Japan-U.S.-ROK Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, Japan-U.S. Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, and Japan-ROK Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, which are scheduled to be held in the ROK on June 14.
5. Furthermore, Prime Minister Abe congratulated President Trump for his upcoming 72nd birthday on June 14.