- Монгол хэл
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Tiếng Việt
Procedures Required Before Working as a SSW
*There are two types of "Specified Skilled Worker" - (i) and (ii) - but the explanation here pertains to (i), which is applicable to most people.
The general process for working as a SSW in Japan is as follows. However, please note that the procedures differ slightly depending on the country, and some countries have their own domestic procedures (for details, please contact the embassy of Japan or overseas worker dispatch authority in your home country).
- ※1Testing based on specified industry fields
- ※2- Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (Japan Foundation)
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test (N4 or higher) (Japan Foundation/Japan Educational Exchanges and Services)
- ※3○over 18 years old
○Has passed a skill/Japanese language test (foreign nationals that have satisfactory completed Technical Intern Training (ii) are exempt)
○Has not stayed for more than 5 years as Specified Skilled Worker (i)
○No security deposit has been collected and no contract has been signed which sets out penalties
○Where self-supported, fully understands the details of their responsibilities
- ※4○Attend life orientation provided by the accepting organization
○Register as a resident in the municipalities in which the individual lives
○Open a salary bank account
About the Exam
①Test to measure Japanese language proficiency
In order to obtain a "Specified Skilled Worker" status of residence, it is necessary to pass the "Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (JFT-Basic)" or acquire the N4 certificate for the "Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)". Both JFT-Basic and JLPT are conducted within and outside Japan.
- - Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (JFT-Basic) Official English Website (Japan Foundation)
- - Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Official English Website (Japan Foundation/Japan Educational Exchanges and Services)
*For nursing care, applicants also need to pass the “Nursing care Japanese language evaluation test”.
- - Nursing care skills evaluation test implementation procedure (PDF)
- - Sample questions (English) (PDF)
- - Study textbooks (English) (PDF)
In order to obtain a "Specified Skilled Worker" status of residence, it is necessary to pass skill exams for each specified industry field, conducted within and outside Japan.
An Introduction to Specified Skilled Workers Currently Working in Japan
*There are plans to publish information on people who are active in Japan as SSWs.