Disaster Risk Reduction
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Receives Joint Courtesy Call from Leaders of International Organizations Attending the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction
March 15, 2015
On March 15, commencing at 11:10 a.m. for approximately 25 minutes, Mr. Shinzo Abe, the Prime Minister, received a joint courtesy call from leaders of international organizations attending the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction. An overview of the meeting is as follows:
(1) Mr. Saber Hossain Chowdhury, Ex-officio President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
(2) Mr. Tadateru Konoe, President of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
(3) Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
(4) Dr. Joan Clos, Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
(5) Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
(6) Ms. Grete Faremo, Executive Director of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
(7) Ambassador Willian Lacy Swing, Director General of the International Organization for Migration.
2. Summary of dialogue
(1) At the beginning, Prime Minister Abe welcomed their participation in the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction and stated that roles of the international organizations having unique expertise and wide network are very important and Japan emphasizes its approaches through cooperation with international organizations in the “Sendai Cooperation Initiative for Disaster Risk Reduction” announced the day before.
(2) The participants from international organizations expressed their gratitude to Japan for hosting the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction. Moreover, they also expressed their respect to reconstruction from the Great East Japan Earthquake and expressed their gratitude for support and cooperation from Japan to activities of each international organization in the field of disaster risk reduction.