Japan-Russia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
February 16, 2019
On February 16, on the occasion of the Munich Security Conference, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, and Mr. Lavrov, Sergey Viktorovich, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, held a Japan-Russia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting for approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes. This was the second round of negotiations regarding a peace treaty following the meeting in Moscow in January.
1. Issue of concluding a peace treaty
- The two ministers conducted an in-depth exchange towards solutions acceptable to both sides, based on their concrete discussion of mutual views at the first round of negotiations in January, and taking into account that the leaders of the two countries spent much time exchanging views on this issue at the previous Summit Meeting.
- During the negotiations between the two ministers shouldering their respective national interests, the discussions became heated at times but were held in a candid and serious manner, with this being the ninth meeting between Minister Kono and Minister Lavrov.
- As an outcome of the meeting, the two ministers confirmed that the Special Representatives of the two leaders will hold negotiations in the near future, and that following these negotiations, the two sides will make arrangements for Minister Lavrov to visit Japan for the next round of negotiations between the two foreign ministers as early as possible.
- The two ministers discussed concrete ways forward for swiftly realizing the Joint economic activities on the Four Northern Islands.
- With regard to humanitarian measures for the former island residents, the two ministers held detailed discussions on advancing the bilateral cooperation, including this summer’s grave visits by airplane, as agreed upon at the Japan-Russia Summit Meeting in January.
2. Other diplomatic schedule
- The two ministers confirmed that a Japan-Russia security discussion will be held in the near future, and that the 15th Japan-Russia Strategic Dialogue will be held between Mr. Takeo Akiba, Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Mr. Titov, Vladimir Gennadievich, the First Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Russian Federation, on April 2 in Japan.