Japan-EU Foreign Ministers' Telephone Talk
February 16, 2018
On February 16 (local time), Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a telephone talk with Ms. Federica Mogherini, the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Vice-President of the European Commission during his visit to Munich for Munich Security Conference. The overview of the talk is as follows.
1. Japan-EU Strategic Partnership Agreement (SPA)
- (1) Minister Kono welcomed the agreement of the negotiation of the Strategic Partnership Agreement (SPA) to enhance the coordination between Japan and the EU, which share fundamental values. Minister Kono expressed his intention to cooperate with the High Representative Mogherini toward early signing and entry into force of the SPA and Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
- (2) High Representative Mogherini appreciated recent developments of the EU-Japan relationship and expressed her intention to pursue early signing and entry into force of the SPA and EPA.
2. North Korea
- (1) Minister Kono pointed out that North Korea continues its nuclear and missile development and international society should not be blinded by its "charm offensive". Minister Kono emphasized the importance to firmly uphold policies of maximizing pressure on North Korea such as fully implementing the UN Security Council Resolutions. Minister Kono expressed his intention to cooperate closely with the EU.
- (2) The High Representative Mogherini referred to the discussions held on the situation of North Korea at the EU informal meeting of Foreign Affairs Ministers and expressed that the EU will continue to maintain pressure on North Korea and coordinate firmly with Japan.