The Seventh Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP-VII)
January 11, 2011
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will host the Seventh Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP-VII) on January 17 (Mon.) at the Mita Kaigisho (Mita Conference Hall) in Tokyo.
- ASEAN member states, China, the Republic of Korea and countries with a common interest in the security of the Asian region such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States will be represented among the convening senior government officials in charge of non-proliferation policies.
Various issues related to the strengthening of the non-proliferation apparatus in Asia will be discussed during the Talks to deepen the level of understanding among countries of their desired non-proliferation implementation measures, the obstacles they would face and solutions to such obstacles.
- ASTOP-VII will build on the discussions of the six previous meetings. ASTOP-VII will include the following topics:
(1) Prevention of the transfer of proliferation-sensitive materials
(2) The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Apparatus under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT)
(Note) Past meetings of the Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP)
First Meeting (Tokyo) November 13, 2003
Second Meeting (Tokyo) February 9, 2005
Third Meeting (Tokyo) February 13, 2006
Fourth Meeting (Tokyo) January 25-26, 2007
Fifth Meeting (Tokyo) April 25, 2008
Sixth Meeting (Tokyo) December 11, 2009