The Third Meeting of Advisory Panel of Experts on Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation
August 24, 2010
- The Third Meeting of Advisory Panel of Experts on Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation was held from 14:00 on August 24 (Tuesday).
- Participants included Professor Mitsuru Kurosawa (Chair of the Advisory Panel, Professor, Osaka Jogakuin College), Dr. Nobumasa Akiyama (Associate Professor, Hitotsubashi University), Dr. Hiromichi Umebayashi (Special Advisor, Peace Depot), Professor Heigo Sato (Professor, Takushoku University), and Dr. Fumihiko Yoshida (Editorial Writer, the Asahi Shinbun) from the Expert side, and Mr. Katsuya Okada, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Hisashi Tokunaga, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs and other officials.
- Experts pointed out that, as mid-term/long-term issues, it is important to consider possible changes and their repercussion of nuclear strategy of states possessing nuclear weapons after the number and role of nuclear weapons are decreased, and to draw the countries that have not yet acceded to the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) into multilateral talks through such frameworks as the Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) and a Fissile Material Cut-off Treaty (FMCT). Participants also exchanged their views, in response to Mr. Okada’s suggestion, about the importance of deepening discussion on nuclear-weapon-free zones amid the increasing momentum toward “a world without nuclear weapons”, and about ways to revitalize the Conference on Disarmament (CD).
- As in the previous meeting, they exchanged views about preparation and possible ways forward with regard to a foreign ministerial meeting on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation planned to be co-hosted by Japan and Australia during the session of the United Nations General Assembly in September this year.
- The Fourth Meeting is scheduled to be held in the first half of September.
Professor. Mitsuru KUROSAWA Professor, Osaka Jogakuin College
Dr. Nobumasa AKIYAMA Associate Professor, Hitotsubashi University
Dr. Hiromishi UMEBAYASHI Special Adviser, Peace Depot
Dr. Heigo SATO Professor, Takushoku University
Dr. Fumihiko YOSHIDA Editorial Writer, The Asahi Shimbun