Negotiations on the ASEAN-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement
March 2, 2007
The Sixth Round of Negotiations on the ASEAN-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership (CEP) Agreement was held in the Boracay Islands, the Philippines, on February 26 (Mon) and 27 (Tue).
February 26 and 27, 2007
2. Main Participants
(1) Japanese Side: Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Mr. Jun Yokota, Ambassador for International Economic Affairs, and others), Ministry of Finance (Mr. Masakazu Sakaguchi, Deputy Director-General, Customs and Tariff Bureau), Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (Mr. Hidemitsu Sasaya, Councillor (Deputy Director-General for International Affairs), and others), Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (Mr. Nobuhiko Sasaki, Deputy Director General, Trade Policy Bureau, and others)
(2) ASEAN Side: Mr. Ramon Vicente T. Kabigting, Director, Bureau of International Trade Relations, Department of Trade and Industry and other participants from the ASEAN
3. Summary of Discussion
(1) The participants discussed wide-ranging fields including the modalities of liberalization of trade in goods, texts of the agreement (those in the fields of investment and trade in services as well as trade in goods) and cooperation.
(2) With respect to the liberalization of trade in goods, they continued discussions on the modalities.
(3) With respect to rules of origin, a working group meeting among experts was held, and the discussion was based on drafts proposed by both sides. They sorted out issues that need to be discussed further.
(4) With respect to cooperation, the Japanese side explained the framework and other aspects of cooperation, and the ASEAN side showed interest in them. Both sides decided to establish a working group among experts to further deepen the discussion.
(5) With respect to the next round of negotiations, both sides decided to hold it in April.
Related Information (Japan-ASEAN Relations)
Related Information (FTA and EPA)
Back to Index