JOINT STATEMENT ON THE ENTRY INTO FORCE OF THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN JAPAN AND THE REPUBLIC OF CHILE FOR A STRATEGIC ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIP
The Prime Minister of Japan, Mr. Shinzo Abe, and the President of the Republic of Chile, Ms. Michelle Bachelet, hereby issue the following Joint Statement on the entry into force of the Agreement between Japan and the Republic of Chile for a Strategic Economic Partnership (hereinafter referred to as "the Agreement"):
- Both leaders celebrated today the entry into force of the Agreement. Both sides expressed their determination to contribute to developing their economies and enhancing the welfare of their respective peoples through the effective implementation of the Agreement.
- The Agreement reflects the strong will of both sides to advance free trade and create new opportunities for their respective countries' productive sectors. At the same time, the approval of the Agreement by an overwhelming majority of the Japanese Diet and the Chilean Parliament demonstrated people's will to significantly strengthen economic relations between the two countries.
- The Agreement, which could have a major impact on the bilateral economic relations, is one of the most important instruments concluded between Japan and Chile throughout their 110 years of friendly relations. Celebrating the anniversary, both leaders shared the view that the Agreement adds a new foundation to a long path followed in common.
- The Agreement provides legal guarantees and predictability to Japanese and Chilean enterprises, gradually deregulates trade, strengthens export competitiveness of each country in the other country's market, fosters reciprocal investments, and sets institutional communication mechanisms between Japan and Chile, which will make it possible to improve business environment and advance towards future expansion of opportunities under the Agreement. All of these are expected to have a positive impact on the welfare of both peoples.
- Both leaders call on the Japanese and Chilean nationals to make the most of this new instrument, which will play a decisive role in promoting mutually complementary economic relations and further enhancing the friendship between their peoples.
Tokyo, September 3, 2007.
Prime Minister of Japan
President of the Republic of Chile
Back to Index