Japan-Russia Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (Overview)
On Tuesday, September 25 (local time), Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba, who visited New York, the United States of America, to attend the United Nations General Assembly, held a meeting with Mr. Sergey Viktorovich Lavrov, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, for approximately 25 minutes.
- This was the kick-off meeting for the preparation for the visit to Russia by the Prime Minister of Japan, which is planned near December. Both ministers concurred on holding a viceministerial-level meeting in mid-October in Japan to discuss the overall issues of Japan-Russia relations including territorial issues, in preparation for the Prime Minister’s visit to Russia. Moreover, both ministers confirmed further advancement of consultation and cooperation in the field of security, and holding a meeting of the Inter advancement of governmental Committee on Trade and Economic issues between Minister Gemba and Mr. Igor Shuvalov, the First Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, to discuss cooperation in the field of economy upon Mr. Shuvalov’s visit to Japan in November.
- Minister Gemba stated that he would like to promote Japan-Russia cooperation in various fields including security, economy, and culture, through the preparation process of Prime Minister Noda’s visit to Russia and to make progress concerning the territorial issue through such process. As was agreed at the Japan-Russia Summit Meeting held on the occasion of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting in Vladivostok, both parties confirmed conducting discussion in order to find a mutually acceptable solution concerning the territorial issue. For this purpose, both parties agreed on holding substantial discussions at the vice ministerial-level meeting in mid-October.
- Both parties expressed common recognition that mutual trust between leaders and foreign ministers of the two countries has deepened through frequent dialogues, which is important for the development of Japan-Russia relations.
- Minister Gemba congratulated on the success of the Vladivostok APEC meetings and of the visit to Japan by His Holiness Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia. In response, Foreign Minister Lavrov expressed his gratitude for Japan’s cooperation.
- In addition, Minister Gemba explained Japan’s stance on present Japan-China relations.
Back to Index