Summary of the 6th Round of Negotiations on the Japan - India Economic Partnership Agreement
- The 6th round of negotiations on the Japan - India Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) was held from April 10(Thu) to 14 (Mon), 2008 at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan in Tokyo.
- In this round, the Japanese delegation was led by Mr. Sumio Kusaka, Deputy Director-General of the Economic Affaires Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Coordinator for the Japanese Co-chairs) and other Director-General-level Co-chairs from relevant ministries, and the Indian delegation was led by Mr. Shri Dinesh Sharma, Joint Secretary of the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry (Indian Co-chair). Experts from relevant ministries and agencies from both sides also participated in the meetings.
- A summary of the discussion is as follows:
- (1) At the round, the negotiations were overviewed in the plenary session and such issues as market access in trade in goods, other issues relating to trade in goods (general rules, rules of origin, customs procedures), trade in services, investment, intellectual property, improvement of business environment, cooperation, other areas (competition, government procurement, non-tariff measures (SPS, TBT)), and general/final provisions were discussed in the sessions either at the working-level (Co-chair-level) or at the expert-level. Good progress was made in all the negotiating area during this negotiating round.
- (2) Regarding the market access of trade in goods, technical clarifications were sought on the respective offers exchanged prior to this negotiating round.
- The next 7th round of negotiations will be held in New Delhi toward the middle of May, 2008. The detailed schedule will be determined through diplomatic channels.
Back to Index