Prime Minister Mori's Statement at the ASEAN+3 Summit Meeting in Singapore
November 24, 2000
1. Future of East Asia
"Three Principles for Enhancing Open Regional Cooperation in East Asia"
(1) Building partnership in the context of ASEAN+3
(2) Enhancing ASEAN+3 as a framework of open regional cooperation which complements and strengthens the global system
(3) Developing ASEAN+3 cooperation in a well-balanced manner in every field that is taken up in the "Joint Statement on East Asia Cooperation," including political-security field (even if for the time being cooperation is in the economic field)
2. Enhancing cooperation in East Asia
- Holding of "Joint Conference of Government Officials, Prominent Academics and Business Leaders for IT Cooperation in East Asia" in Japan in 2001
- Dispatch of policy-dialogue missions on IT cooperation to implement "Japan's Comprehensive Co-operation Package to Address the International Digital Divide"
- Development of IT engineers: "Asian Common Skill Standard Initiative for IT Engineer"
- Holding of "Asian Cooperation Conference on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships" in Tokyo in 2001
- Assisting the holding of anti-piracy workshop in Thailand in March 2001
- Strengthening economic cooperation for the eradication of poverty
(3) Chiang Mai Initiative
- Starting bilateral negotiations based on the principle just agreed upon for the implementation of Chiang Mai Initiative
- Financial cooperation to ASEAN Secretariat for the strengthening of regional financial cooperation
(4) Holding of the "Millennium Forum - Voice of Asia" in Okinawa in February 2001
(5) Political and security area
- Emphasizing the importance of a stable Korean Peninsula and Indonesia for the stability of entire Asia
3. Cooperation for ASEAN integration
- Mekong River Basin Development:
Dispatch of a government mission for coordinating and considering possible assistance
Back to Index