The Clashes between Israel and the Palestinian militants(Statement by Foreign Minister KAMIKAWA Yoko)
October 8, 2023
- On October 7, Hamas and other Palestinian militants launched a number of rockets into Israel and infiltrated into the Israeli territories from the Gaza Strip, and caused numerous deaths and injuries. Japan strongly condemns the attacks which severely harmed innocent civilians. Japan offers its condolences to the bereaved families and expresses its heartfelt sympathies to the injured.
- In addition, a number of people including civilians were reportedly kidnapped by Hamas and other Palestinian militants. Japan strongly condemns such acts and urges the early release of those captives.
- At the same time, Japan is deeply concerned about a number of casualties in the Gaza Strip caused by the attacks by the Israeli Defence Forces.
- Japan urges all the parties concerned to exercise maximum restraint in order to avoid further damage and casualties.
- Japan will continue to take all possible measures to ensure the safety of Japanese people in Israel and the Gaza Strip, while strengthening its efforts to reach out to both Israelis and Palestinians, and work towards calming down the situation as soon as possible in close coordination with the international community.