Assistance by the United Nations Trust Fund for Human Security to the Project in Tajikistan
June 24, 2013
- On May 17, the United Nations Trust Fund for Human Security, which was established through the initiative of the Government of Japan, decided to extend assistance totaling 2,012,292 US dollars (approximately 165 million yen) to a project entitled "Empowering Communities with Better Livelihoods and Social Protection".
The project is implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). This project aims at promoting the human security of vulnerable households through improving economic, food, health, environmental, and personal security of the population residing in 5 districts of Rasht Valley. The activities will include the following:
- Improving the food and economic security of the target population through respectively restoring and rebuilding lives and diversifying the agricultural and economic base.
- Securing the environmental security of the target population by reducing the vulnerability of communities to natural disasters, working with them to strengthen land management practices and through improved access to water, irrigation, pasture and energy.
- Improving the health and personal security of the target population by empowering children and women members of the communities through strengthening their rights to legal support, ensuring birth registration of all children and civil registration of all marriages.
- Providing the opportunities of girl children to attend school beyond primary classes.
- This project is expected to promote the human security of the vulnerable population in Tajikistan.