Second East Asia Low Carbon Growth Partnership Dialogue
April 19, 2013
- On Saturday, May 18, the Government of Japan will hold the Second East Asia Low Carbon Growth Partnership Dialogue in Tokyo. The 1st Dialogue was held in Tokyo last year.
- This Dialogue is part of the regional cooperation that Japan is pursuing based on the recognition that in order to address climate change effectively, in addition to the promotion of climate change negotiations it will also be vital to promote practical efforts toward low carbon growth worldwide. Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan and H.E. Dr Mok Mareth, Senior Minister, Minister of Environment of the Kingdom of Cambodia will co-chair the Dialogue. Participants will discuss approaches to regional cooperation toward achieving low carbon growth in the East Asia region, which is the growth center of the world economy and the area with the largest greenhouse gas emissions in the world, with the participation of ministerial level representatives from East Asia Summit (EAS) countries and high level officials of related international organizations.
- The main theme at this Dialogue will be technology, based on the Prime Minister's instructions (January 25) "to formulate a proactive diplomatic strategy to address global warming by which Japan contributes to the international community with its technology." Specifically, participants are scheduled to discuss (i) strategic approaches to achieving low carbon growth (including public-private partnership), (ii) policy challenges and improvement of environments for promoting the technology transfer, and (iii) effective use and potential of various approaches, including market mechanisms (including various efforts leading to the effective utilization of technologies contributing to low carbon growth). On the occasion of the Dialogue, a side event is scheduled to be held.
[Reference] Second East Asia Low Carbon Growth Partnership Dialogue and the related side event
(1) Second East Asia Low Carbon Growth Partnership Dialogue
- 9:30 A.M.-, Saturday, May 18
- Prince Hotel Tokyo
(2) Related side event
Symposium "The East Asia Knowledge Platform for Low Carbon Growth"
- 1:30 P.M.-5:30 P.M., Friday, May 17
- Iino Hall & Conference Center
- Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES),
National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES),
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)