Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs NAKANISHI Satoshi received
the final report of the research project on preventing and responding
to the outbreak and the spread of infectious diseases on cruise ships
On March 29, Mr. NAKANISHI Satoshi, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, met with members of experts committee of the research project on preventing and responding to the outbreak and the spread of infectious diseases on cruise ships, and received its final report (English version (original) (PDF) , Japanese version (PDF) ) . The overview of the meeting was follows:
- At the outset, the chair of the experts committee, Professor IKEDA Yoshiho（Professor Emeritus of Osaka Prefecture University）, submitted the final report of the research project.
- Parliamentary Vice-Minister NAKANISHI expressed his gratitude to the experts committee for the vigorous efforts for the research toward producing the report. He also stated that Japan, as a country which had unique experiences, should share the lessons learned, good practices and desirable international framework for response with international community, and that this report serves as a foundation to fill the role.
- Thereafter, other members of the experts committee also explained the report from their own expertise.
(Reference 1) Overview of the research project
Following unprecedented cases of the spread of new infectious diseases on cruise ships last year, this project was commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan in order to develop an international framework aims at preventing and responding effectively to similar cases in the future. The submitted final report was produced based on the discussions of the experts in various areas, including Professor IKEDA Yoshiho.
(Reference 2) Members of the experts committee
- - Professor IKEDA Yoshiho
Professor Emeritus of Osaka Prefecture University, and Secretary General of the Academic Society for Cruise and Ferry, Japan
- - Professor KANEHARA Atsuko
Professor of Public International Law, Sophia University, and President of Japanese Society of International Law
- - Professor KAWANO Mariko
Professor of International Law at the Faculty of Law, Waseda University
- - Dr. SUNAMI Atsushi
President of the Sasakawa Peace Foundation, and President of the Ocean Policy Research Institute
- - Professor TATEDA Kazuhiro
Professor of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Toho University’s Department, and President of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases
- - Professor HOSHINO Toshiya
Professor at the Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University
- - Professor WADA Koji
Professor of Public Health in the Faculty of Medicine and Graduate School of Public Health, International University of Health and Welfare