Foreign Minister Kono Attends ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers’ Meetings and Visits Bangladesh, Myanmar and Pacific Island Countries
July 29, 2019
1. Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs, will visit Dhaka in the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Nay Pyi Taw in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Bangkok in the Kingdom of Thailand, Suva in the Republic of Fiji, Koror and the island of Peleliu in the Republic of Palau, Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia, and Majuro in the Republic of the Marshall Islands from July 29 to August 9.
2. In Dhaka, Minister Kono will hold his first Foreign Ministers’ Meeting with H.E. Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen, Foreign Minister of Bangladesh . In addition, Minister Kono will visit Cox’s Bazar, where he will visit camps for displaced persons who arrived following the deteriorating situation of Rakhine State in Myanmar.
3. In Nay Pyi Taw, Minister Kono will hold meetings with government dignitaries, including H.E. Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, State Counsellor and Union Minister for Foreign Affairs of Myanmar, and exchange views concerning the bilateral relationship, the situation of Rakhine State, among other issues.
4. In Bangkok, Minister Kono will attend ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers’ Meetings (Japan-ASEAN Ministerial Meeting, ASEAN Plus Three (Japan, China, Republic of Korea) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, East Asia Summit (EAS) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Ministerial Meeting, and Mekong-Japan Foreign Ministers' Meeting).
At these meetings, Minister Kono will discuss such issues as supports for strengthening the ASEAN Community, promotion of Japan-ASEAN cooperation, strengthening of EAS, confidence building at the ARF, and ways for enhancing Japan-Mekong cooperation, as well as regional and international issues including North Korea and the South China Sea. Minister Kono will explain Japan’s views on these issues and confirm coordination with participating countries.
Minister Kono will also have a bilateral foreign ministers’ meeting with Thailand, which holds the ASEAN Chairmanship and inaugurated an elected government this month for the first time in five years. Bilateral foreign ministers’ meetings with other countries participating in the ASEAN-related Foreign Ministers’ Meetings are also being coordinated. Furthermore, Minister Kono, together with the foreign ministers of the Mekong countries, will attend the opening ceremony for Mekong-Japan Exchange Year 2019 Commemorative Concert and deepen cultural exchanges between Japan and the Mekong countries.
5. In Suva, Minister Kono will hold meetings with government dignitaries, including Hon. Rear Admiral (Retired) Josaia Voreqe Bainimarama, Prime Minister and Minister for i-Taukei Affairs and Sugar Industry of the Republic of Fiji, and with Dame Meg Taylor, Secretary General of the Pacific Islands Forum. Minister Kono will also deliver a speech regarding Japan’s policy on Pacific Island countries at the University of the South Pacific.
6. In Peleliu Island, Minister Kono will hold meetings with government dignitaries, including H.E. Tommy E. Remengesau, Jr., President of the Republic of Palau, and offer flowers at the Monument of the War Dead in the Western Pacific.
In Koror, Minister Kono will confer a Foreign Minister’s Commendation to the Palau Judo Federation.
7. In Pohnpei, Minister Kono will hold meeting with H.E David W. Panuelo, President of the Federated States of Micronesia, and attend a handover ceremony for a grant assistance for a grassroots project.
8. In Majuro, Minister Kono will hold meetings with government dignitaries, including H.E. Dr. Hilda C. Heine, President of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and offer flowers at the Monument of the War Dead in the Eastern Pacific.
[Reference] Minister Kono’s Schedule
July 29 PM Departure from Japan PM Arrival in Dhaka 30 AM Visit of camps in Cox’s Bazar PM Meetings with dignitaries of the Government of Bangladesh Offering of flowers at the terrorist attack site in Dhaka 31 AM Departure from Dhaka Arrival in Nay Pyi Taw PM Meetings with dignitaries of the Government of Myanmar Departure from Nay Pyi Taw Arrival in Bangkok August 1 AM Japan-ASEAN Ministerial Meeting 2 AM ASEAN Plus Three Foreign Ministers’ Meeting EAS Foreign Ministers’ Meeting PM ARF Ministerial Meeting 3 AM Mekong-Japan Foreign Ministers' Meeting Attendance at Mekong-Japan Exchange Year 2019 Commemorative Concert PM Departure from Bangkok 4 AM Arrival in Suva Meetings with dignitaries of Fiji 5 AM Meetings with dignitaries of Fiji PM Departure from Suva and arrival in Koror 6 AM Departure from Koror and arrival in Peleliu Island Meetings with dignitaries of Palau PM Departure from Peleliu Island and arrival in Koror Meetings with dignitaries of Palau 7 AM Departure from Koror and arrival in Pohnpei PM Meetings with dignitaries of Micronesa 8 AM Departure from Pohnpei and arrival in Majuro PM Meetings with dignitaries of Marshall Islands 9 AM Departure from Majuro Arrival in Japan