The first Joint Committee of the Japan-EU Strategic Partnership Agreement (SPA)
March 25, 2019
1. The first Joint Committee under the Japan-EU Strategic Partnership Agreement was held today in Tokyo. This launched the implementation of the new agreement, which enshrines common values and principles, such as democracy, the rule of law, human rights and fundamental freedoms. It provides a legal framework for intensified cooperation in a wide range of fields of foreign and security policy as well as other areas of sectoral cooperation.
2. Japan and the EU discussed priorities for cooperation under the Strategic Partnership Agreement in this initial phase such as;
- sustainable connectivity and quality infrastructure
- global issues
3. The parties also decided to intensify their cooperation on challenges related to the digital economy such as privacy and security of data. There was consensus between Japan and the EU to strengthen security policy cooperation in accordance with the Strategic Partnership Agreement.
4. The Rules of Procedure of the Joint Committee were also adopted. The Joint Committee meeting was chaired by Mr. Yasushi Masaki, Director-General of the European Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Mr. Gunnar Wiegand, Managing Director for Asia and the Pacific, European External Action Service.