Visit to Japan by Mr. Lacroix, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations
November 13, 2018
1. Mr. Jean-Pierre Lacroix, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, will travel to Japan from Tuesday, November 20th to Friday, November 23rd at the invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
2. During his visit to Japan, Under-Secretary-General Lacroix will update and exchange views on current initiatives, challenges and perspectives related to UN Peacekeeping with senior officials of the Government of Japan. He will also deliver a special lecture on current situations and issues in peacekeeping contexts at a Seminar co-hosted by United Nations Information Center and Sophia University.
3. This year marks the 70th anniversary of UN Peacekeeping. The Government of Japan has been cooperating with UN Peacekeeping Operations (PKOs), including through the deployment of more than 12,500 personnel to UN missions since 1992.
4. Based on the UN Secretary-General’s “Action for Peacekeeping” (A4P) initiative, the UN is working with stakeholders, including Member States and regional organizations, to strengthen and improve peacekeeping. The Government of Japan supports the Secretary-General’s ongoing reforms of the UN Peacekeeping.
5. This visit is expected to enhance the understanding of UN PKOs in Japan. Moreover, it will further strengthen coordination with the UN towards proactive contributions by Japan to UN PKOs in order to maintain the peace and stability of the international community.