The Result of the Presidential Election in the Republic of Maldives
(Statement by Press Secretary Takeshi Osuga)
September 29, 2018
1. On September 29, the Elections Commission of Maldives officially announced the result of the presidential election held on September 23. Japan expresses its congratulations upon the election of Mr. Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
2. The holding of the presidential election in a peaceful manner and with a high voter turnout demonstrates the strong support of the people of Maldives for the democratic process. Japan welcomes the peaceful holding of the election and expresses its respect to all the parties who contributed to this, particularly the people of Maldives.
3. Japan hopes that the new administration will be inaugurated smoothly. Furthermore, Japan intends to work together with the new administration to strengthen bilateral relations, and address regional and global issues.
(Reference) 2018 Presidential Election in the Republic of Maldives
(1) On September 23, the presidential election was held. In the early hours of September 24, the Elections Commission provisionally announced that Mr. Solih had secured a majority with 58.33% of the vote compared to incumbent President Yameen with 41.66% of the vote.
(2) On September 29, the Elections Commission officially announced that Mr. Solih had been elected with 58.4% of the vote compared to incumbent President Yameen with 41.6% of the vote.
(3) This election was the third presidential election held since 2008, when Maldives established a democratic constitution.
(4) The President-Elect will be inaugurated on November 17.