Visa Relaxation for Nationals of India
(Simplification of visa application documents and expansion of scope of eligible applicants for multiple-entry-visa for short-term stay)
November 14, 2017
1. The Government of Japan will commence the following visa relaxation measures for multiple- entry-visa for short-term stay to nationals of India (ordinary passports holders) from January 1, 2018.
(1) Simplification of visa application documents.
'Applicant’s Employment Certificate' and 'Explanation Letter stating the reason of applying for multiple-entry-visa' will be exempted in applying for multiple-entry-visa. In principle, applicants will be able to apply for multiple-entry-visa with only three documents below;
- Visa Application Form (with Photo)
- Documents to prove the financial capability (for tourism purpose) / Documents to prove the applicants affiliation to certain enterprises (for business purpose)
(2) Expansion of scope of eligible applicants.
Multiple entry visas (Validity: 5 years maximum, Period of Stay: 90 days maximum) will be issued to applicants who have travel records to Japan twice or more in the last one year. In this case, the eligible applicants may submit only their passports and visa application form.
2. The relaxations are expected to help further development of people-to-people exchanges between Japan and India by enhancing convenience for Indian tourists and business persons as well as repeat visitors.
3. In February this year, the Government of Japan introduced the simplification of visa application procedure for single entry visa for Indian students to promote visit of Indian youths to Japan. By this relaxation, Indian students, graduate students and alumni of universities in India may submit certificate of student status or graduation instead of the document to prove financial capability in the application for single entry visa for short-term stay.
(Reference) Further details will be posted in MOFA web site.