The adoption of a Resolution by the United Nations Security Council concerning a series of ballistic missile launches and other activities conducted by North Korea
(Statement by Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida)
June 3, 2017
1. The United Nation Security Council unanimously adopted Resolution 2356 (PDF) concerning a series of ballistic missile launches and other activities conducted by North Korea on June 3. It is totally unacceptable that North Korea has been continuing provocations, disregarding the repeated warnings by the international community.
2. Security Council Resolution 2356 reinforces a series of relevant resolutions and additionally designates individuals and entities subject to asset freezing measures or travel ban. Japan appreciates the adoption of this resolution, as it demonstrates the will of the international community to enhance pressure upon North Korea.
3. Japan strongly urges North Korea to sincerely heed the voice of the international community and to comply strictly and fully with Resolution 2356 and the series of relevant resolutions, without conducting further provocations such as nuclear tests and ballistic missile launches.
4. The issue of North Korea is a top priority in the international agenda. Japan will continue to closely collaborate and cooperate with concerned countries, including steadily implementing this resolution and ensuring its effectiveness to further enhance pressure upon North Korea.
5. Japan will continue to make its utmost efforts, under the principle of “dialogue and pressure” and “action for action” and in close coordination with the international community, including the United States and the Republic of Korea, for the comprehensive resolution of outstanding issues of concern regarding North Korea including nuclear and missile issues as well as the abductions issue, which continues to be the most important.