Study Tour to Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture
(Site visit to the Nakoso Power Station and other energy related facilities)
1. On Thursday, June 8, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will organize the “Study Tour to Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture (Site visit to the Nakoso Power Station and other energy related facilities)” in cooperation with Joban Joint Power Co., Ltd., Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture, and Agency for Natural Resources and Energy. This Study Tour comprises a site visit to the Nakoso Power Station and other facilities related to reconstruction of Fukushima as well as a workshop for Clean Coal Technology.
2. This Study Tour is aimed at introducing to the diplomatic corps the activities for building a model for realizing a hydrogen-based society, which is the policy goal presented in the “Fukushima Plan for a New Energy Society” announced by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in March 2016 during his visit to Fukushima Prefecture, and discussed at the first meeting of the “Ministerial Council on Renewable Energy, Hydrogen and Related Issues” in April this year. In doing so, this Study Tour aims to disseminate the information about Japan’s renewable energy-related facilities and related advanced technologies to the world.
3. The Ministry organized the first Study Tour in August 2016. During this second Study Tour, in addition to the site visit to a power plant, a workshop titled “Policy, Technology and Finance Issues toward High Efficiency, Low Emissions (HELE) Coal Technology” will be held in order to deepen participants’ understanding in the current situation of coal-fired power generation in the world.
4. At Onahama fish market, locally caught fresh fish will be served during lunch in order to appeal the safety and security of food from Fukushima to diplomatic corps including Ambassadors.
(Note 1) Participating countries (in alphabetical order) (15 participants from 14 countries (as of May 31, 2017))
Bangladesh, Belgium, Brunei, Botswana, Canada, Colombia, France, Germany, Kenya, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Peru, South Africa, United States
(Note 2) Schedule
Thursday, June 8, 2017
- The Nakoso Power Station, Joban Joint Power Co., Ltd.
- Iwaki Lalamew
- Onahama fish market