Japan- EU high-level policy dialogue on development cooperation
May 8, 2017
1. Japan and the EU held their fifth high-level policy dialogue on development cooperation on Monday 8 May in Tokyo, Japan.
2. The Japanese delegation was headed by Mr. Takio Yamada, Director-General of the International Cooperation Bureau of Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the EU was represented by Mr. Stefano Manservisi, Director-General for International Cooperation and Development at the European Commission.
3. The parties exchanged views on the Sustainable Development Goals and other global development issues; the discussion focused specifically on the mobilization of private and public sector funding for infrastructure, and emphasized the importance of close cooperation to ensure quality infrastructure investment and enhanced connectivity in Asia and Africa through Indo-Pacific.
4. Japan and the EU will continue to exchange views on the possibility to identify concrete areas to work together in the field.
5. Japan and the EU agreed to hold their next high-level policy dialogue on development cooperation in 2018, at a time and place to be determined.