Japan-UAE Foreign Ministers’ Meeting and Working Dinner
April 24, 2017
On April 24, Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a Foreign Ministers’ Meeting and working dinner with H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), at the Iikura Guest House from 17:30 for roughly one hour and forty-five minutes. The overview is as follows.
1. Mr. Fumio Kishida welcomed the visit of Minister Abdullah and stressed his intention to further strengthen the strategic partnership between the two countries. Minister Abdullah responded that Japan is an extremely important strategic partner and that the UAE would like to diversify the relation not just that of energy.
2. In the meeting, the two ministers confirmed that from July 1, 2017, the visa waiver system will commence for the UAE ordinary passport holders based on their pre-registration and that mutual visa exemption for diplomatic and official/special passport holders will commence on the same day.
3. The two ministers also confirmed that with regard to a bilateral investment agreement, they reached an agreement in principle. The two ministers concurred to accelerate works for an early signature.
4. Minister Kishida informed Minister Abdullah that Japan has decided to participate in Dubai Expo 2020 and also requested him for his support for Osaka’s candidature to Expo 2025. At the same time, Minister Kishida requested his support to renew the share of offshore concession right that Japanese companies currently have after the end of the term in 2018, as this is an opportunity to further expand the cooperation between the two countries. Regarding the offshore concession, Minister Abdullah responded that he would like to make his efforts taking the importance of the relation with Japan into consideration.
5. The two ministers discussed views on the situations in East Asia and the Middle East over dinner. Minister Abdullah supported Japan’s stance against actions taken by North Korea and on the other hand he showed his concern over actions of Iran. Regarding situation in Syria, Minister Kishida stated that it is important to promote the political process progress through realizing the early cease-fire and improving humanitarian access and he would like to cooperate with the UAE in this regard as well.