Vice President of the United States to Visit Japan
1. The Honorable Mike Pence, Vice President of the United States of America, and his spouse will pay an Official Working Visit to Japan from April 18 to 19.
2. During his stay in Japan, Vice President Pence will hold The Japan-U.S. Economic Dialogue with Mr. Taro Aso, Deputy Prime Minister of Japan. The Vice President Pence will also pay a courtesy call on Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan. The leaders agreed (PDF) to establish the Japan-U.S. Economic Dialogue at the Japan-U.S. Summit Meeting in February, and the upcoming meeting will be the first round of the Dialogue.
3. The visit of Vice President Pence and his spouse to Japan is expected to further deepen the Japan-U.S. relationship, including in the economic and security areas.
(1) Vice President Pence has visited Japan twice in his previous position as Governor of Indiana. (This will be his first visit to Japan as Vice President.)
(2) Deputy Prime Minister Aso held a meeting with Vice President Pence during Prime Minister Abe’s visit to the United States in February 2017. (The meeting was also attended by Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs.)