The 24th Asian Export Control Seminar
1. The 24th Asian Export Control Seminar will be held at TKP Garden City Shinagawa, Tokyo, from February 21st to 23rd (organized by Center for Information on Security Trade Control (CISTEC); co-hosted by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry). Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Shunsuke Takei and Parliamentary Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Toshinao Nakagawa will deliver opening remarks on behalf of the Government of Japan.
2. The purpose of this Seminar is to promote Asia regional and international non-proliferation efforts by raising the awareness and building the confidence among the competent authorities of export control in Asia-Pacific countries and economies, and further enhancing their capacity for preventing proliferation of items and technologies which can be diverted for development of weapons of mass destruction. Participants will be thegovernment officials in charge of export control from ASEAN member states, China, the Republic of Korea, India, as well as Australia, Canada, France, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and other countries and economies which are sharing common interests in strengthening export control in Asian region. Representatives from international export control regimes and the United Nations will also participate.
3. Main topics of this seminar are as follows:
(1) Panel discussion “Changes of Environment in Security Export Control”
(2) Strengthening export control to counter terrorism
(3) Activities of international export control regimes
(4) Activities of the United Nations, including Panel of Experts established pursuant to Security Council resolution 1874 (on North Korea)
(5) Recent developments on strategic trade control, including export control systems in theAsian region