The Situation in The Gambia
(Statement by Foreign Press Secretary Norio Maruyama)
January 23, 2017
1. Japan welcomes the realization of transfer of power in the Islamic Republic of The Gambia in accordance with the results of the election, as H.E. Dr. Yahya A.J.J. Jammeh, Former President, left the country, accepting the mediation led by the member states of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and other regional partners.
2. Japan expresses its respect to all the stakeholders in The Gambia for having acted in the spirit of cooperation in addressing the situation, and congratulates H.E. Mr. Adama Barrow, President of the Islamic Republic of The Gambia, on his inauguration.
3. Furthermore, Japan highly commends the roles played by the ECOWAS member states and other regional partners, as well as relevant international organizations.
(Reference) The Situation in The Gambia
(1) Mr. Barrow was elected as the new president of The Gambia in the presidential election held in December 2016.
(2) Mr. Jammeh previously sought a re-run election and refused to transfer power to President Barrow. However, Mr. Jammeh has since accepted mediation efforts led by ECOWAS member states and Mauritania, and left The Gambia and entered Guinea on January 21 (local time).