Tax Convention with Chile entered into force
December 28, 2016
1. Today, the exchange of diplomatic notes for the entry into force of the Convention between Japan and the Republic of Chile for the Elimination of Double Taxation with respect to Taxes on Income and the Prevention of Tax Evasion and Avoidance (PDF) (signed on January 21, 2016, in Santiago) took place in Tokyo.
2. The Convention, therefore, entered into force today (the date of exchange of diplomatic notes) and will have effect:
(a) in Japan:
- (i) with respect to taxes levied on the basis of a taxable year, for taxes for any taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2017; and
- (ii) with respect to taxes not levied on the basis of a taxable year, for taxes levied on or after January 1, 2017; and
(b) in Chile:
with respect to taxes on income obtained and amounts paid, credited to an account, put at the disposal or accounted as an expense, on or after January 1, 2017.
3. The provisions concerning the exchange of information have effect from today, without regard to the date on which the taxes are withheld at source or the taxable year to which the matter relates.