Comment by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, on the Adoption of a Resolution by the United Nations Security Council concerning the Nuclear Test conducted by North Korea and Other Provocations
November 30, 2016
1. Japan highly appreciates that the United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted Resolution 2321 (PDF), which remarkably reinforces sanctions on North Korea in response to its conduct of the nuclear test on September 9th and the series of missile launches.
2. North Korea’s nuclear tests and ballistic missile launches are unforgivable outrageous acts and totally unacceptable. The nuclear test conducted in September, along with the repeated ballistic missile launches, has constituted a new level of threat to the entire international community including Japan. In response to this threat of a new level, Resolution 2321 clearly demonstrates the international community’s will to take a resolute response of a new dimension completely different from the past.
3. Japan strongly demands North Korea to sincerely heed the voice expressed by the international community and to comply faithfully and fully with Resolution 2321 and the series of relevant resolutions, without taking further provocations, such as nuclear tests and ballistic missile launches.
4. Japan, as a member of the Security Council, has greatly contributed to the adoption of this resolution in close coordination with concerned countries, including the United States and the Republic of Korea as well as China and Russia. Japan will continue to work closely with concerned countries to strictly implement this Security Council resolution and ensure its effectiveness.
5. This is the first time that a Security Council resolution regarding North Korea expresses its deep concern at the grave hardship that the people in North Korea are subjected to in an operative clause. This demonstrates the strong concern of the international community, including the Security Council, over North Korea’s human rights and humanitarian issues including the abductions.
6. Towards a comprehensive resolution of outstanding issues of concern regarding North Korea, including nuclear and missile issues as well as the abductions issue, which continues to be the most important, Japan will continue to strongly demand North Korea to take concrete actions. With regard to the abductions issue in particular, Japan will make its utmost efforts to realize the return of all abductees at the earliest possible date under its policy of “dialogue and pressure” and “action for action”.