Second Japan-Cuba Joint Public-Private Committee Meeting
November 28, 2016
1. On November 28, the Second Japan-Cuba Joint Public-Private Committee Meeting was held at the Keidanren Kaikan in Tokyo. Mr. Kentaro Sonoura, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, representing Japan, and H.E. Mr. Rodrigo Malmierca Díaz, Minister of Foreign Trade and Foreign Investment, representing Cuba, participated in the meeting with a wide range of officials from relevant ministries, oraganizetions and private companies from both Japan and Cuba.
2. This meeting was established based on an agreement made during a first-ever visit to Cuba by Mr. Fumio Kishida, Minister for Foreign Affairs, in 2015. Afterwards when Prime Minister Abe visited Cuba in September this year, it was agreed at the summit meeting that the level of attendees would be raised to the political level.
3. At the meeting, State Minister Sonoura, who served as the speaker for the Japan side, explained the policies of the Government of Japan aimed at strengthening economic relations, and stated that Japan’s policies are aimed at not only supporting Japanese companies but also contributing to the modernization of Cuba’s economic and social models with an intention to move forward with Cuba as a reliable partner in both the public and private sectors.
4. In response to this, the Cuba side gave a briefing on the current status and future prospects of the socio-economic development plan that it is currently carrying out, and expressed its hopes regarding Japanese investment as new business opportunities arise in the future.
5. In addition, the two sides held lively discussions, which included Japanese private sector companies making specific proposals related to the strengthening of business relations with Cuba.