The 60th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency to be held in Vienna
September 23, 2016
1. The 60th General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will be held from September 26 to 30 in Vienna.
2. Mr. Hirotaka ISHIHARA, State Minister of Cabinet Office, and Mr. Mitsuru KITANO, Permanent Representative and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the International Organizations in Vienna, will attend the General Conference as representatives of the Government of Japan. Members of the Cabinet Office; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Nuclear Regulation Authority will also participate as alternates.
3. At the beginning of the General Conference, State Minister Ishihara will make statements on Japan’s nuclear energy policy. During the session, the representatives of the Member States will discuss peaceful uses of nuclear energy, technical cooperation, nuclear safety, nuclear security, strengthening the safeguards system and its efficiency and other issues.
(1) The IAEA is an international organization (168 Member States – as of September 2016) which was established in July 1957 for the purpose of promoting peaceful uses of nuclear energy and application of safeguards to prevent the diversion of nuclear energy for military use.
(2) Safeguards are applied based on safeguards agreements between the IAEA and countries concerned in order to verify that nuclear energy is not diverted from peaceful uses to such uses as to further any military purpose.